So J. Lee graduated magna cum laude in English from the University of California, Berkeley, where they won the Dorothy Rosenberg Prize in Lyric Poetry and scholarships for their research on Oh Jung-hee and Toni Morrison. They received a two-year fellowship to attend the LTI Korea Translation Academy.
Their grant-winning translation of Choi Jin-young’s To the Warm Horizon and Lee Hyemi’s Unexpected Vanilla have appeared in Words Without Borders, Modern Poetry in Translation, Korean Literature Now, Asymptote, and The Margins.
Lee is the creator of chogwa, a quarterly e-zine featuring one Korean poem and multiple English translations. They have also provided English subtitles for One, Two, Queer, and Four! and Chalna: Enough Time to Fall in Love.
Send good news to sojlee [at] protonmail.com
- Two Lines, Three Poems by Heo Su-gyeong – Spring 2020
- Vagabond City, Three Poems by Heo Su-gyeong – November 2019
- AAWW The Margins, “No Panties” by Lee Hyemi – September 2019
- Korean Literature Now, Five Poems by Lee Hyemi – June 2019
- Words Without Borders, “The Cupboard with Strawberry Jam” by Lee Hyemi in the Queer X Issue – June 2019
- Asymptote, Five poems by Lee Hyemi – April 2019
- Korean Literature Now, An excerpt from To the Warm Horizon by Choi Jin-young in the Spring LGBTQ Issue – March 2019
- Modern Poetry in Translation, Two poems by Lee Hyemi in the Summer LBGTQ+ focus – June 2018
- Words Without Borders, “Dori and Jina” from To the Warm Horizon by Choi Jin-young in the Queer IX Issue – June 2018
- Words Without Borders, “Starting at the Surface: An Interview with Lee Hyemi” / “수면에서 시작하기: 이혜미 작가와의 인터뷰” – June 2019
- Words Without Borders, “In One Long Breath: An Interview with Choi Jin-young” / “한 번은 긴 호흡으로: 최진영 작가와의 인터뷰” – June 2018
- 『자음과모음』, “웹진 『초과』, 한국시 번역의 풍요로움을 그리다” – November 2019
- 『비유』, “사람들은 역시 야한 것을 좋아하니까” – November 2019
- Organizer and host of chogwa issue 2 reading!potluck!gabfest! in Yeonnamdong, Seoul – December 2019
- Reader at ALTA42 Translation LitCrawl in Rochester, NY – November 2019
- Reader at LTI Korea Translation Academy Graduation – June 2019
- Organizer and host of Smoking Tigers x Words Without Borders Queer Bilingual Reading / 퀴어문학 한영 낭독회 in Mangwondong, Seoul – June 2019
- Performer at All Hail: The 2nd Drag King Contest in Seogyodong, Seoul – May 2019
- Organizer and host of Damaged Goods screening in Yongsandong, Seoul – April 2019